Sunday, February 12, 2006

The Blues

It has been a sluggish day in the DC region, especially after about a foot of snowfall has resulted in a slowdown of activity. With so much white outside, I have the blues inside. Actually, I have the grass cut blues. My mom has the cancer. My dad died a decade ago. I am underemployed (yet very grateful). I cannot make enough money to payoff my debts, let alone the student loans that put me into debt in the first place. I dread another lonely Valentine's Day. My crippled dog got hit and killed by a car. My cat got hit by a car. My bird froze to death on the back porch when I was twelve, despite a valiant attempt of mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. My dog that everyone hated except me died. My foot feels blue - sometimes is really blue. I have been a homeless lawn mower amputee. I live in a rooming-house, filled with pleasantries and the blues of yesteryear. My reputation is black and blue. Someone took my nickel. My overall life is blue - the Rescue Rick Blue Period. Nonetheless, I still believe in the Red, White, and Blue.

America is the home to some legendary blues musicians. I put on a blue sweatshirt and blue jeans, and I went to The Barns at Wolf Trap (part of the first national park for the performing arts) this evening. I was entertained tonight by Rory Block - a modern-day acoustic blues artist and multiple winner of the W.C. Handy Award. I learned of Rory Block through my best friend while I lived in New York City. I listened to 90-minutes of blues this evening. It was a very nice performance with a broad range of styles and messages. I am now inspired to write the grass cut blues, yet another artform to communicate the yard safety awareness message of Rescue Rick the Grass Cut Man - yard safety superhero. Indeed, I signed a few autographs after the show in blue ink as well.

There is Kentucky Bluegrass. Also, I introduce the Rescue Rick Grass Cut Blues (tm) . Think before you cut. It hurts. Some people are black, brown, red, white, yellow, and shades in between. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) reports that hospital emergency rooms treat more than 400,000 outdoor garden-tool-related accidents each year. Estimates from past statistics indicate that yardwork accidents fatally injure more than 3,000 people. Today, I am blue.

Rescue Rick the Grass Cut Man
http://www.rescuerick.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home