Saturday, April 30, 2005

Big Apple

I was on national television in New York City both Wednesday (4/27/05) and Thursday (4/28/05) morning. On Wednesday, I started at the Today Show; the cameraman filmed me just before a commercial break. I then went to the Fox News "Fox and Friends" newscast where I stood immediately outside the studio - the side window. The guest was Jim Lehrer; I was literally five feet behind him. I was dressed as Rescue Rick the Grass Cut Man and had a toy lawn mower with a golf club driver attached acting as a handle extension. After Fox, I went to the Viacom building and stood outside the entrance holding a sign that read "Rescue Rick the Grass Cut Man (www.rescuerick.com)". On Wednesday night, I handed-out leaflets outside Carnegie Hall for about one-hour before the concert. Next, I stopped at the Carnegie Deli and requested that my Rescue Rick (sm) photograph be placed next to Jackie Mason, since I joined Jackie at his table at the Carnegie Deli a few years ago. Next, I strolled down Broadway (passing out leaflets) until I arrived at MTV. I stood in front of MTV and handed-out about 700 leaflets.

On Thursday, I started at Good Morning America. I did not have a ticket so I stood outside near a window. I waited about 30 minutes, and I realized that I might not get on-the-air. I went back to Fox News. The Fox News morning co-anchor, Steve Doocy, remembered me and actually said on-the-air that Rescue Rick the Grass Cut Man was visiting the window again; the smoking monkey was the topic of the show. During a commercial break, I gimped over to CNN for a brief unscheduled appearance (at their window). Keep in mind, I was pushing my toy lawn mower up-and-down the Avenue of the Americas. I returned to Fox where I had a nice conversation with the Fox crew and security, who came outside the studio for a mechanical bull-riding segment. After the show, I pushed the toy lawn mower up 6th Avenue to Central Park, over to 5th Avenue, down 5th Avenue to 46th Street, over to Madison Avenue, up Madison Avenue to 61st Street, over to Park Avenue, down Park Avenue to the Helmsley Building, up Park Avenue to 57th Street, and finally to a Central Park bench to rest my pounding and throbbing foot. The Rescue Rick stroll through midtown Manhattan was a great experience for me and a eye-catching and educational experience for thousands of New Yorkers. Ironically, just a few years ago, I was walking on Park Avenue in a suit-and-tie as a Wall Street investment banker. Now, I push a toy lawn mower as a yard safety super hero with a goal to find a cure for yard accidents. I am now a renaissance yardman- that day as a street performer.

I am trying to promote yard safety awareness. I want to prevent outdoor power equipment accidents. Think before you cut. It hurts. (tm)

Rescue Rick the Grass Cut Man (sm)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home