Saturday, January 27, 2007

Treadmill

Once again, Dr. Olasky has impacted my life. Likewise, I started exercising on a treadmill as another milestone in my recovery after having a severe lawn mower accident a few years ago. Indeed, it has been a long and winding road. I met Dr. Olasky in Pittsburgh in January 2005 while he offered a guest two-day lecture at a Reformed Presbyterian church. I was excited to go and listen to his spiritual journey, including advisor to President George W. Bush. I was having some very severe life challenges, and I was blessed to meet some great people in the church and other religions as well. At the time, I did not really know what compassionate conservatism really means. After a few years, I now have a better understanding. I do recognize that Dr. Olasky lives his writings. That weekend in Pittsburgh two years ago, I was so excited to meet Dr. Olasky, and I was thrilled to tell him my story. He listened to me in a compassionate manner. He demonstrated that care for the poor must be the responsibility of private individuals and organizations, particularly the Christian church. He gave me hope and reinvigorated my faith. It became clear that private charity has the power to change lives because it allows for a personal connection between the giver and the recipient. Moreover, the poor can be compassionate to others as well. Dr. Olasky has written several dozens of books. The next book that I read on the treadmill will be "Renewing American Compassion: How Compassion for the Needy Can Turn Ordinary Citizens into Heroes" by Dr. Marvin Olasky (1996). I wonder if this book is on tape or CD. It would be easier for me to listen to books while on the treadmill. It has been a challenge for me to maintain my balance and stay on the treadmill. In the name of Jesus, Amen.

Richard T. Mudrinich
Rescue Rick the Grass Cut Man
http://www.rescuerick.com
Visit My Website

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home